Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Joined a gym.

I joined a gym yesterday. I hadn't felt much need for a gym in the past year, as I started running more, losing weight and feeling great. But I realize I've become what Runner's World calls a "marshmallow runner." I'm soft. No matter how much I run, my legs aren't as strong as I want them to be and my arms are still flabby and I'm just not solid. I need the benefits provided by cross-training so I can become a better runner. I want to have access to a treadmill on the days when it's storming outside and I can't go running, or this summer when it's 100 degrees outside and I feel like going running might give me heatstroke.

I want to take advantage of the classes they offer, including Hot Yoga, Spinning, Pilates, Zumba...

It is $50 a month which is a bit steep, but I can make it worth the money by going often, taking advantage of their services, and finding enjoyment and success with it.

I hope to see my running times and speed get better thanks to the cross and strength training I will receive at the gym.

Right now I think my plan is to go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week, and run outside three times a week. I'll run on the treadmill at the gym the rest of the time to get in my mileage goal. In a perfect world, my weeks will look something like this:

Monday: 
Work
Run outside

Tuesday: 
Work
Gym: treadmill 30 minutes, spinning class at 6, upper body workout

Wednesday:
Work
Gym: Pilates 5:30 p.m., lower body workout

Thursday: 
Work
Run outside

Friday: 
Work
Rest

Saturday: 
Gym: Yoga, 11 a.m.
Upper body workout
Run outside

Sunday:

Gym: lower body workout
Running outside

In other news, this gym fee is going to cut seriously into my shopping budget. I'll have to save up for something I want instead of buying on a whim. This is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment