Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I fought my run and I won.

The plan was 6.2 miles, and the goal was to finish before it started storming. The weather forecast yesterday presented a window of two hours where it would not be raining - it was raining up until 8 a.m., and severe weather was supposed to be headed our way starting at 10 a.m., but from 8-10, there was only 10 percent chance of precipitation.

It was humid, overcast, muggy, gross. There were big puddles on my path that I had to jump over or sidestep. I felt like junk. Less than halfway in, I wanted to quit. The fact that no one else was at the park besides me bothered me  (I run alongside streets so it wasn't a desolate area). Wondering if the forecast was wrong and I was going to get stuck in the rain distracted me. I didn't bring my iPod in case that happened, so all I had was the sound of my footsteps and my own thoughts to entertain me.

But somewhere during my "Wanting to Quit" mode, I thought, "This is a fight, and I'm going to win." I love Skinny Runner's shirt that says, "I Wanna Punch Running in the Face." A lot of the time, I love running, I want to give it a kiss. But sometimes, I do want to punch it in the face. And that's what I decided to do. I didn't quit. I kept chugging along. "Just keep running, just keep running" (ala Finding Nemo's "just keep swimming").

And I did it. At a 9:21 pace, sans negative split, but I didn't quit and I beat the rain. I punched running in the face and won our fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment