Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I be up in the gym just workin on my fitness

Yes, that's a Fergie quote. I have now hit the gym three times since signing up a week ago, and it would be more if I didn't have to train for a half-marathon. And since my patience for the treadmill hovers around zero, that running must take place outside.

So this was my Thursday and weekend in a nutshell:

Thursday - hit the gym after work, doing 2 miles on the elliptical, 2 miles running on the treadmill, upper and lower body weights, and abs. Friday I took the day off from working out, Saturday I ran 3 miles at an 8:37 pace to help prepare for a 5K I'm doing tomorrow night, and then on Sunday, my husband and I set out for what was supposed to be a 14-mile training run for our half marathon.

My husband has always, always been the one to push me to go further or harder when out running, so it was disconcerting for me to see him struggling at the tail end of our run. At about 10 miles, he was just dripping sweat, he said his feet felt numb, and he was gassed. He hasn't really trained properly, running long distances of 8 and 10 miles once each before attempting the 14-miler. It was also really hot outside, which didn't help.

We ended up deciding to just do 13.1 miles so he could complete the half-marathon distance, and I was definitely feeling a lot better than him at the end. I could have kept going and completed the 14 miles, but we stick together. I know it was weird for him too. He thinks the numb feet thing might have something to do with the way he runs because he's flat-footed. If he wants to train again for a half or even full marathon in the future, he (and me too) will need to go get fitted and find shoes that will help him run more comfortably. Our plan for the race is for him to wear a hat if it's real sunny and hot (Though it shouldn't be as hot because our run was at 11 a.m. and the race will be at 8. Earlier = cooler). He will also stop to take stretch breaks if his feet start to feel that way again.

On Monday, I got up at 5:15 a.m. so I could make it to the gym for a 5:45 a.m. spin class! It was so hard to get up, but I had fun at the class, got in some upper body weights and a mile on the treadmill, and felt fabulous for the rest of the day. I loved going through the day knowing I'd already worked out and didn't have to do it after work, and I also loved the no traffic and plentiful parking at the gym early in the morning. I think I will incorporate early morning classes and gym visits into my week from now on.

Today I plan to rest, but if it feels nice this evening I might get my husband to go for a 2-3 mile run. Tomorrow night is the 5K. I am thinking of trying hot yoga Thursday morning and go to another spin class Friday morning. Friday afternoon we travel. Half-marathon is in Dallas on Sunday. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment