Friday, January 28, 2011

Looking back.

Without my husband coming to meet me yesterday, I would not have gone running, but he did so I did. We got in almost 3 miles, making the week total so far about 7. My week's total will be at least 20 after I run 13.1 tomorrow. Aaaah! I'm a bit nervous for some reason! I bought some Gu energy gel from Academy the other night, and I tried Clif energy gel before our 4.3 mile run Wednesday. It was kind of gross, the consistency, but I do feel like it gave me energy to run when I had been so tired after a long day of work. I will take a Gu before the run and then carry two with me for the duration. I will be drinking Powerade or water every 3 miles or so.

Tonight my husband and I are going to eat at a burrito place with our Bible study, so I will try to load up on the veggies and get some carbs in. I am looking forward to having this run tomorrow over with! Then it's taper taper until the race. I'm so glad that I was able to up my mileage over the last month -- it feels great to look back and see what I've accomplished.

Before I started running last May, I'd never run regularly with the exception of Summer 2005 when my then-boyfriend (now husband) and I started running in the mornings at a park near our college campus. I never was sure of our distance, but I believe I got up to around 3 miles. When the summer ended, so did the running, and I never fully embraced it so I didn't miss it. I had been a walker for a long time, starting in high school probably, and continuing sporadically in college, but I never envisioned becoming a runner. Now in the last 8 months, I've gone from not being able to run a mile without stopping to being able to run 12 miles, and I went from never having completed a race since the age of about 8 (in a fun run) to doing three races within a month and a half of each other.

Now I am about 2 weeks away from a half-marathon - I can't believe it!

I only wish I had started running sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment