Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Let's Talk Anthro.

Anthropologie is many things to many people. I've read that their target demographic is 30-45-year-old women with an annual household income of $150,000-$200,000. But what I see around the blog world is that many women outside of those particular lines LOVE Anthropologie. Even so, the price points at Anthro aren't going to change dramatically just because an unintended audience became loyal customers. A dress will start at $150+ and that's just the way it is. The beauty of Anthropologie is the sale-watching and the great deals you can sometimes find. I've never seen anything like it before - until I discovered the Anthropologie blogging community.

Because I'm your typical 25-year-old who makes considerably less than the above standard in household income (and am putting my husband through law school, so that annual income consists of one salary - mine), my relationship with Anthro is fragile and sometimes tenuous. The only thing I've ever been able to buy full price was a pair of tights ($12.50). But I find a way to make this little relationship work.

Since yesterday was Sale Day, I looked through my wish lists, hoping for some reasonable prices on any of my favorite items. I have some standards that won't be compromised - I won't pay more than $30 for a shirt. I'll spend the most on shoes, but I rarely ever visit the Bags page because the bags just never get down to what I'm willing to pay for one. I like to stay below $50 for skirts and dresses, which means I miss out on a lot of pieces I'd love to have that never get below that price.

Being much poorer than the target demographic at Anthropologie means there are a lot of things I just can't afford there. But when I am able to get something I love, at a price comfortable for me, this relationship is worth that.

My sale pick-ups yesterday:
 Fancified Boatneck in lilac, $29.95
Tweed Magnificent Sash, $19.95 (no longer listed on web site but popped back in my wish list)

No comments:

Post a Comment